The Office Memorandum issued by the Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure, addresses the issue of delayed payment of retirement benefits to retiring employees. The memorandum acknowledges that the first credit of pension to the pensioners’ accounts has been significantly delayed, sometimes beyond three months.
It emphasizes that the first credit of pension should be made promptly based on the e-PPO (Electronic Pension Payment Order), with the physical PPO booklet and related documents to follow within standard timelines.
Timely payment of retirement benefits to the retiring employees
Ministry of Finance
Department of Expenditure
Office of Controller General of Accounts
Mahalekha Niyantrak Bhawan
E-Block, GPO Complex, INA, New Delhi
Subject:- Timely payment of retirement benefits to the retiring employees
It has been brought to the notice of this office that first credit of pension to the account of pensioners has been inordinately delayed and in certain cases beyond three months. The instructions, in this regard, are clear (as issued vide CPAO’s OM dated 12.07.2021 and 23.05.2021) that first credit of pension is to be made on the basis of e-PPO and the physical PPO booklet and related documents will follow as per standard timelines.
- Controller General of Accounts has taken a serious view of delay in credit of pension/family pension in the accounts of pensioners/family pensions and has directed that all efforts must be made to ensure that the pension is credited to the account of pensioners by the due date.
- The attention of all concerned is also drawn towards the timelines prescribed by the Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare (DoP&PW) for processing and payment of pension/family pension, gratuity, other retirement benefits and authorization by Accounts officer under Rule 63 and 76 of CCS (Pension) Rules, 2021.
- This office has also time and again reiterated that the provisions of para 7.3.2 and 7.3.3 (Role of PAO and CPAO) of the Civil Accounts Manual (read with correction slips) need to be adhered to by all concerned.
- The following time standards are required to be followed by the all field offices.
|Activity||Time Standard for processing cases||Office|
|Processing of all pension/family pension cases by Pay & Accounts Offices (PAO) after receiving all necessary forms and documents, complete in all respect from the Head of Office.||i. Not later than two months in advance of the date of retirement.|
ii. 30 days from the date of receipt of the case in case of family pension.
|PAO to CPAO|
|Verification of PPO by CPAO and issuance of SSA along with PPO to CPPC of the pension Disbursing bank||15 days||CPAO to Bank.|
- The time standard for submission of pension papers complete in all respect by Head of Office to PAO shall be remain as per the CCS (Pension) Rules, 2021.
- In view of the above, all Pr. CCAs/CCAs/CAs (I/C) of the respective Ministries/Departments are requested to ensure that Pension/Family pension cases are processed within the prescribed timelines so as to ensure that the pension/family pension is invariably credited in the account of pensioner/family pensioner on the due date.
Dy. Controller General of Accounts