The Railway Senior Citizens Welfare Society has written a letter to the Secretary of the Department of Public Grievances, Administrative Reforms, and Pension requesting an increase in the Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA) from Rs. 1000 per month to Rs. 3000 per month.
The FMA is provided to retired Central Government beneficiaries who live beyond 2.5 kilometers from any Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) dispensary or other health unit administered by other Ministries or Departments.
The letter cites a Parliamentary committee report recommending the enhancement of the FMA due to the rising cost of medicine and the prevalence of diseases among pensioners at old age. The society argues that a sum of Rs. 1000 per month is insufficient for pensioners to manage their medical expenses, and an increase is necessary.
Enhancement of Fixed Medical Allowance from Rs. 1000/- Per Month to Rs. 3000/- PM
RAILWAY SENIOR CITIZENS WELFARE SOCIETY
(Estd. 1991, Regd. No. 1881 – Under Registration of Societies Act)
Head Office: 32, Phase- 6, Mohali-160055 (Mob: 9316131598, 8360452584)
IDENTIFIED BY DOP&PW GOI- UNDER PENSIONERS’ PORTAL
MEMBER, SCOVA (STANDING COMMITTEE FOR VOLUNTARY AGENCIES)
Department of Public Grievances,
Adm. Reforms &Pension,
5th Floor, Patel Bhawan, Parliament Street,
Sub: – Enhancement of Fixed Medical Allowance from Rs. 1000/- Per Month to Rs. 3000/- PM.
Ref: -GOI Min of Personnel, Public Grievance & Pensions, DoP&PW F.No. 4/34/2017-P&PW(D) Dated: 31-01-2018
- Vide above referred letter, the FMA was revised from Rs. 500/-PM to Rs. 1000/-PM in the year 2018 to meet the day-to-day expenses on medicines for those retired Central Govt. Beneficiaries who are residing beyond 2.5 KMs from any CGHS dispensary or any other health unit corresponding Health unit administered by other Ministries/Departments. On the other hand EPFO pensioners continue to get Rs. 2000/- PM since 01.03.2013.
- Since 2018 till date the FMA is paid per month on the above rates. In these five years price index has risen manifolds and rates of medicines also increased exorbitantly.
- Moreover, Parliamentary committee on Pensioner’s Grievance in its 110th report already submitted on 10.12.2021 has recommended the enhancement vide para3.14, sub Para (iii) “Fixed Medical Allowance may be enhanced from Rs 1000 to Rs 3000 per month since most pensioners are suffering from different diseases at old age and are unable to manage with meagre pension as CGHS hospital is not available in every town”.
- As per para 2.21 of 120th Action Taken Report, “DoP&PW will take-up the issue of enhancement of FMA with the Finance Ministry.”
- In view of above Fixed Medical Allowance be enhanced from Rs 1000 to Rs 3000 per month since most pensioners are suffering from different diseases at old age and are unable to manage with paltry sum of Rs. 1000/- per month.