OROP Update: Pension Re-fixation for Past Pensioners and Family Pensioners
One Rank One Pension (OROP) is a policy in India that ensures that military personnel of the same rank and length of service receive the same pension, regardless of their date of retirement. This policy was implemented in 2015 and is set to be revised every five years. The letter you provided describes the next revision of the OROP policy, which will be effective as of July 1, 2019. According to the principles outlined in the letter, the pension of past pensioners will be re-fixed based on the pension of defense forces retirees in 2018, and the benefit will be extended to family pensioners, including war widows and disabled pensioners. Arrears will be paid in four half-yearly installments, except for family pensioners, who will receive their arrears in a single installment. The letter also mentions that personnel who opt to be discharged on their own request after July 1, 2014 will not be eligible for OROP benefits. The revision of pension for each rank and category under the OROP scheme will be issued in separate instructions.
Government of India
Ministry of Defence
Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare
Sena Bhawan, New Delhi,
Dated, the 4th January 2023
The Chief of Defence Staff
The Chief of Army Staff
The Chief of Naval Staff
The Chief of Air Staff
Subject: Next revision of pension of Defence Forces Personnel/ family pensioner under One Rank One Pension (OROP)
The undersigned is directed to refer to the provisions contained in para 3(v) of this Ministry’s letter No. 12(1)/2014/D(Pen/Pol)-Part-Il dated 7.11.2015 regarding re-fixation of pension of Defence Forces Personnel under OROP in future every 5 years.
2. The President is pleased to decide that next revision of pension under OROP Scheme would be effective from 1.7.2019. Revision of pension is based on the principles adopted in MoD letter dated 07.11.2015 which are as under:
- 2.1. Pension of the past pensioners would be re-fixed on the basis of pension of Defence Forces retirees of calendar year 2018 and the benefit will be effective from 01.07.2019.
- 2.2. Pension will be re-fixed for eligible Defence Forces pensioners/family pensioners on the basis of the average minimum and maximum pension of Defence Forces Personnel retired in calendar year 2018 in the same rank and with the same length of service.
- 2.3. Pension for those drawing above the average shall be protected.
- 2.4. The benefit would also be extended to family pensioners including war widows and disabled pensioners.
- 2.5. Arrears will be paid in four half-yearly instalments. However, all the family pensioners including those in receipt of Special/ Liberalized Family Pension and Gallantry Award Winners shall be paid arrears in one instalment.
- 2.6. Personnel who opt to get discharged w.e.f. 01.07.2014 (on or after 01.07.2014) on their own request under Rule 13(3)i(i)(b), 13(3)II(i)(b), 13(3)II(iv) or Rule 16B of the Army Rule 1954 or equivalent Navy or Air Force Rules will not be entitled to the benefits of OROP.
3. Detailed instructions along with tables for revision of pension for each rank and each category under OROP Scheme, shall be issued separately.
4. This issues with the concurrence of Finance Division of this Ministry vide their ID Note No. 10(01)/2019/Fin/Pen dated 30.12.2022.
5. Hindi version will follow.
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India
One Rank One Pension (OROP)
Download DESW OM