Receiving and Retaining gifts from foreign dignitaries: Amendment in Rule 11 of AIS (Conduct) Rules, 1968
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
North Block, New Delhi-110001
Dated 5th October, 2021
The Chief Secretaries of States / UTs
Sub: Amendment in Rule 11 of AIS (Conduct) Rules, 1968- reg.
I am directed to refer to the subject noted above and to say that this Department vide notification number G.S.R No 634 (E) dated 15.09.2021, has amended Rule 11 of AIS (Conduct) Rules, 1968 (copy enclosed). The said amendment has come into force w.e.f 15.09.2021 (i.e date of publication in the Gazette of India). Consequent to said amendment, a new sub- rule(4) has been insert in Rule 11 of AIS (Conduct) Rules, which reads as follows:-
“(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-rules (1), (2) and (3), a member of the Service, being a member of the Indian delegation or otherwise, may receive and retain gifts from foreign dignitaries in accordance with the provisions of the Foreign Contribution (Acceptance or Retention of Gifts or Presentations) Rules, 2012, as amended from time to time”.
2. The aforesaid amendment in the AIS (Conduct) Rules may please be brought to the notice of all the concerned for strict compliance. MHA and MoEF, being cadre controlling authority for IPS & IFoS officers respectively may please take all necessary action to give effect to the said amendments under AIS (Conduct) Rules.
Encl: As stated.
Under Secretary to the Government of India
1. The Secretaries to the Govt. of India, All Ministries / Department
2. The Additional Secretary (UTS), MHA, North block, New Delhi
3. The Additional Secretary (Police), MHA, North block, New Delhi
4. The Joint Secretary (IFS), M/o Environment, Forest and Climate Change,
Paryavaran Bhawan, Jor Bagh, New Delhi.
5. NIC, DoPT, ( with request to upload letter on the website of the Department).
Under Secretary to the Government of India
MINISTRY OF PERSONNEL, PUBLIC GRIEVANCES AND PENSIONS
(Department of Personnel and Training)
New Delhi, the 15th September, 2021
G.S.R. 634(E).—In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 3 of the All India Services Act, 1951 (61 of 1951), the Central Government, after consultation with the Governments of the State concerned, hereby makes the following rules further to amend the All India Services (Conduct) Rules, 1968, namely: –
1. Short title and commencement.—
(i) These rules may be called the All India Services (Conduct) Amendment, Rules, 2021.
(ii) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
2. In the All India Service (Conduct) Rules. 1968. in rule | Ll. after sub-rule (3), the following sub-rule shall be inserted, namely:-
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-rules (1), (2) and (3), a member of the Service, being a member of the Indian delegation or otherwise, may receive and retain gifts from foreign dignitaries in accordance with the provisions of the Foreign Contribution (Acceptance or Retention of Gifts or Presentations) Rules. 2012, as amended from time to time”.
[F. No. L1017/01-2019-AIS-II]
DEVENDRA KUMAR, Under Secy.
Note: The principal rules were published in the Gazette of India, Part II, Section 3, Sub-section (i). vide number G.S.R.3, dated the 4th January, 1969 and subsequently amended vide the following notifications, namely:-
(i) G.S.R. 878, dated the 6th June, 1970;
(ii) G.S.R.417, dated the 23th July, 1971;
(iii) G.S.R.405, dated the 7th April, 1973;
(iv) G.S.R. 834, dated the 10th August, 1974;
(v) GS.R.1017, dated the 17th July, 1976;
(vi) G.S.R. 1766, dated the 25th December, 1976;
(vii) G.S.R. 678, dated the 4th June, 1977;
(viii) G.S.R.1717, dated the 31th December, 1977;
(ix) G.S.R. 151, dated the 28th January, 1978;
(x) G.S.R. 583, dated the 6th May, 1978;
(xi) G.S.R.1122, dated the 8th September, 1979;
(xii) G.S.R. 1103, dated the 25th October, 1980;
(xiii) G.S.R. 1134, dated the 1st November, 1980;
(xiv) G.S.R.1009, dated the 2nd November, 1985;
(xv) G.S.R 34, dated the 17th January, 1987;
(xvi) G.S.R.657, dated the 2nd August, 1988;
(xvii) G.S.R.52, dated the 4th February, 1995;
(xviii) G.S.R.228, dated the 28th November, 1998;
(xix) G.S.R.363 dated the 5th May, 2011;
(xx) G.S.R. 573(E) dated the 8th August, 2014; and
(xxi) G.S.R. 280(E) dated the 10th April, 2015.